Keeping Normal Bladder Habits When Working From Home
Everything You Need to Know About Common Bladder Irritants
The kids are staying home from school & you are taking conference calls from your home office (aka the kitchen). The coffee maker is staring you down, and since you are now also taking on the role of being your kids “homeroom teacher,” you decide to make yourself another cup. I hear you! I am you! Minus the kids part, but I am teaching my dog tricks, so that has to count for something. You notice you are using the restroom more frequently especially since it is only 2 feet away from you. Why is this?
What are normal bladder habits?
Did you know that your bladder even had habits?! The human body is wild.
- A healthy, functioning bladder should be able to hold urine for 3-4 hours. This is not a typo!
- You should not have to strain to void. No power peeing!
Common Bladder Irritants:
A bladder irritant is something that causes your urine to become more concentrated therefore irritating your bladder and making you feel like you have to use the restroom more often.
- Carbonated drinks (La Croix, Bubly, etc.)
What Do We Do About It?
- Water sandwich: Drink 8 oz. of water before and after an 8 oz drink that can cause irritation to the bladder. For example: an 8 oz. cup of water→ 8 oz. cup of coffee→ 8 oz. cup of water.
- Space out your fluids throughout the day
- Avoid using the restroom “just in case.”
- Reduce the STRESS with family meditations at lunchtime (Check out the Headspace app, Calm app, or YouTube)
If you have more questions about this, don’t hesitate to reach out to Breathe.! We know all situations are different and we’d love to create the best physical therapy plan of action specifically for you! Schedule a telehealth or in-person visit today!